New jet tent F30 (long winded story)

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 27, 2011 at 19:29
ThreadID: 90856 Views:13455 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
After ummmming and arrrrrring for a year over the black wolf and OZTENT RV series, tents I had finally decided to buy an RV-5.

So with new years weekend coming up a quick phone call “yea mate got em in stock” and a trip to the local big name camping shop I left angry and empty handed after being told “na mate the computers wrong, says we have em but there not here and I don’t know when we getten em again” Left me re-evaluating the situation.

I had decided not to purchase the Black Wolf months ago purely on personal preference, at the end of the day if I’m going to spend a chunk of money on a tent I want to be comfortable with it.

I liked the RV-5 for the setup time, Built in awning, zip in peaked side panels with front and a friend of mine also has an RV-5 meaning with the connector kit we could set up a nice little camp.

But as luck would have it I wasn’t going to have one in a hurry unless I elected for an 8 hour drive or ordering over the net (again personal preference call me impatient)

I had noticed they had the Jet tent but just assumed it was a carbon copy of the Black Wolf however I decided to take another look, with all of the features I liked of the RV-5 plus more room all round but at the cost slower setup / pack up time I started weighing up the benefit of Jet tent F30 & F30X against OZTENT RV-5.

We all know the up sides of the RV series of tents that have been around for about 15 years now, despite a few minor hiccups here and there they are at the end of the day a solid tent that works well for their designed purpose.

As for the Jet Tents there just isn’t any reviews on them yet so once I started looking into it all the right boxes started getting ticked. It has more head & shoulder space and in the 30 series more floor space ( for a just over 6 foot guy that’s a good thing) It still has the same style zip in side and front panel and comes with a fly in the bag. However it is a slower setup and pack up time and with the lack of info about them I really had no idea how much slower it was going to be and they are more expensive.

Looking at the photos on the jet tent web site it seemed I could still hook up to my friends RV-5 with the connector kit and the front add-ons looked very similar so all in all it fit what I wanted with more room inside.

On a trip into town and back to the same store we had look at what was in stock with the Jet Tents and decided to pick up the F30 with peaked side panels, a quick chat to the manager and he gave us a 10% discount for the run around with the lack of stock on the RV-5 bring it somewhat in line with the price of the OZTENT.

First impressions

I got it home just as the heavens opened up and the rain started so in the garage we go. A quick flick through the destruction manual and I’m good to go, in 25 mins I had put it up, put the fly on had a look around, taken the fly off and packed it all up into the bag. So it is quick and I can say it seems to be built well but you do really need to peg this tent out so without doing that I couldn’t get the floor or walls pulled tight and the front awning setup erected.

Fingers crossed the weather is fine enough over the next few days and I can get it all up and have a look and take some photos however the weather bureau isn’t getting my hopes up so watch this space ....

Appsy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Tuesday, Dec 27, 2011 at 20:03

Tuesday, Dec 27, 2011 at 20:03
Just make sure that you weather it in properly. Make sure that it gets a good soaking to swell all of the seams so that the weather proofing is settled. Also make sure that after you weather it in you dry it correctly.

Have had our RV 5 for at least 5 years now did all of the right things with it when new and have never had any issues with any storm or rain.

the only thing with the RV5 is its f*&%ing long but the quickness and setup stuff makes up f that

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 473432

Reply By: NTVRX - Wednesday, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:02

Wednesday, Dec 28, 2011 at 10:02
G'day Appsy & congrats on the tent purchase. Hope it all works out & suits your purposes. We went down the same track as you basically & whilst we liked the OZTENT RV 5 there were a few "hiccups" with it & so we didn't buy one. First, the price, to expensive for us for what you get. Getting the tent off the roof rack of the fourby was a task & putting it back up there (My wife is only 5 foot & found the lift up & down difficult plus the weight) The promo video should start the clock from the time you get it off the vehicle to set up & then retart the clock at pack up time...Ha Ha!!! The idea of a heavy tent on the roof didn't please me at all & would definately cause wind resistance & poor fuel economy. We decided on a Wanderer 5 Instant Tent from BCF. I don't know if other stores sell them but I believe they are an excellent tent with good construction & features & if anyone is looking for a tent, have a look at them. We also looked at the jet tent & the others on display including the new Coleman. Maybe someone will do a tent comparo & the results or ijust the info could be posted on EO. Happy new Year.
AnswerID: 473465

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Dec 29, 2011 at 15:12

Thursday, Dec 29, 2011 at 15:12
Hi NTVRX,
We've had an Oz tent for about 15 yrs. One of the first made. I'm 5' 2.
However, my husband gets the tent off of the roof rack for me & then lifts the tent back up for me.
If your wife ,as with myself,being so short, helping at one end does make it awkward for 2 unless the wife has a step ladder.
Hubby uses the ladder in the middle of the car & gets the tent down by balancing it on his arms whilst coming down the ladder. It is awkward, I agree.
Hubby is very good at making my camping experience as pleasant as he can ,we move on each day usually as we are on Holidays & travel long distances each day.
Having said that, I must say that when a whirly wind comes flying through while I'm inside the tent ,just lifting the front section & the wirly spins me all up in

the tent he doesn't assist at all ! No,, He claims that, Laughter is the best medicine.
Yes it is, about a month after.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye for now Ma.
FollowupID: 748397

Sponsored Links